the comparison between WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram, Signal may be a highly secure messaging service that gives a variety of security measures to protect your privacy. So during this article, we explain one of the simplest features of Signal which is Registration Lock. It’s basically the two-factor authentication feature that needs you to enter a further PIN while registering Signal on a replacement device. So if you would like to further enhance your security and need to enable two-factor authentication on Signal then follow the steps below.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication on Signal:
Before we get to our tutorial, here are some notable points to stay in mind:
Notable Points to stay in Mind:
- In case, you forget your PIN and haven’t any access to your old device then you’ll need to wait 7 days for the Registration Lock to expire. Only then, you’ll be ready to log in to Signal and make a replacement PIN. So to get on the safe side, write down the PIN and store it in a safe place.
- Currently, Signal doesn’t support Authenticator apps or offer any backup codes. you would like to memorize the PIN which can act as your 2FA key.
- The PIN isn’t your screen lock or chat/backup restoration key for Signal. It’s used for Registration Lock and preserving your profile settings.
- Setting up 2FA on Signal will protect you just in case someone manages to swap your SIM. Princeton University did an in-depth study and located that US carriers granted SIM swap requests even when the caller could answer just one authentication question. So you ought to ensure 2FA is turned on to stop any hijack attempts.
Set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on Signal
1. First of all, tap on your profile icon at the top-left corner and open “Privacy“.
2. Next, scroll to rock bottom and enable “Registration Lock”. this may enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on your Signal account. Now whenever you’ll reinstall Signal, it’ll invite the PIN alongside the one-time code sent to your device.
3. In case, you don’t remember your PIN then you’ll simply tap on “Change your PIN” and make a replacement one. you’ll create a minimum of a 4-digit or a maximum 20-digit PIN. If you would like, you’ll also create an alphanumeric PIN. confirm you don’t forget the PIN as you’ll need it during reinstallation and restoration of your Profile.
4. confine mind, Signal will remind you to re-enter the PIN from time to time so it’s etched in your memory. If you discover the prompt annoying then you’ll disable the “PIN reminders” toggle. However, I might not recommend this action if you regularly forget passwords and PIN.
Enable Registration Lock on Signal to show On 2FA
So that is how you’ll enable two-factor authentication on Signal. As it’s clear from the above guide, the PIN is of paramount importance and you ought to confirm to recollect it or store the PIN during a safe location. Unlike other messaging apps, Signal is extremely serious about privacy so you would like to steer an additional mile to protect your privacy. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you would like to find out more about such Signal tips and tricks then head over to our linked article. And if you’ve got any questions then comment down below and allow us to know.